- Avoid breathing iodine vapor.
- Iodine can stain skin and clothing. Wash skin and clothing with sodium thiosulfate to remove iodine.
Chemicals and Solutions
Solid iodine - display bottle
- One liter round bottom flask
- One liter beaker
- Support stand, 5" ring, and buret clamp
- Bunsen burner, gauze screen and matches
- Clamp the one liter beaker to the stand at a height such that a burner can be placed beneath it.
- Add a small amount of iodine to the beaker.
- Clamp the round bottom flask above the beaker such that the round bottom flask seals the mouth of the beaker.
- Fill the flask half full with ice water.
- Heat the iodine using the Bunsen burner. The iodine will sublime and then recrystallize on the cold round bottom flask.