At the University of Washington, we believe that diversity and inclusivity are integral to excellence. Our mission is to create new chemical knowledge and prepare the next generation of scientists in a safe and inclusive environment.
To push our mission forward we must ask tough questions.
How do we:
- Increase access?
- Create an equity-minded learning environment?
- Ensure equal opportunity?
We invite you to join us in this conversation and work with us to create a community of equal opportunity, diversity of viewpoints, and academic excellence.
The UW Chemistry Department is an ACS Bridge Partner Site. We are committed to strengthening the chemical sciences in the United States by increasing the number of underrepresented students who receive doctoral degrees in chemical sciences.
Recent and Upcoming Events: 2021-2022
- October 26, 2021 (6:30pm): Maysoon Zayid – Survival of the Unfittest. Join comedian, disability advocate, and author Maysoon Zayid for “Survival of the Unfittest.” This one-hour talk will tackle everything from diversity to cats named Beyonce through Maysoon’s humorous lens. You’ll laugh so hard you won’t even realize you’ve learned something.
- October 12, 2021 (6:30pm): Nyle DiMarco – Living Out Loud. Audiences are moved as Nyle discusses and demonstrates the value of non-verbal communication and embracing one’s true identity. As he shares firsthand experiences from his life and career, he piques curiosity among listeners as they gain a deeper understanding of the deaf community. In his powerfully emotive presentations, Nyle reveals his triumphs, challenges, fears and dreams, and encourages others to live their own lives authentically and define their own versions of success. Listeners walk away enlightened and empowered to discount societal pressures, embrace diversity and appreciate and harness personal strengths.
- May 25 and June 1, 2021 (3:30-4:30pm): Workshop Series on Developing and Employing Student Learning Outcomes
- Presenter: Prof. Santiago Toledo (St. Edward's University)
- May 5, 2021 (11:30am-1pm): Workshop on Reducing Microaggressions, Microbullying, and Bullying in the Academic Workplace
Presenter: Myron Anderson, UT San Antonio
The new Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect (DIR) Committee of the ACS Puget Sound Section is organizing a series of Zoom panel discussions relating to diversity, inclusion, and respect. More information can be found on their website: https://www.facebook.com/AmericanChemicalSocietyPugetSoundSection/