At the University of Washington, we believe that diversity and inclusivity are integral to excellence. Our mission is to create new chemical knowledge and prepare the next generation of scientists in a safe and inclusive environment.
To push our mission forward we must ask tough questions.
How do we:
- Increase access?
- Create an equity-minded learning environment?
- Ensure equal opportunity?
We invite you to join us in this conversation and work with us to create a community of equal opportunity, diversity of viewpoints, and academic excellence.
The UW Chemistry Department is an ACS Bridge Partner Site. We are committed to strengthening the chemical sciences in the United States by increasing the number of underrepresented students who receive doctoral degrees in chemical sciences.
Recent and Upcoming Events: 2020-2021
- April 6, 2021: Difficult Dynamics: Navigating University Systems as a Graduate Student hosted by Chemistry's Diversity & Equity Steering Committee
Presenter: Ashley Davis, UW Office of the Ombud
March 3, 2021: Growth Mindset Workshop hosted by Chemistry's Diversity & Equity Steering Committee
Presenters: Dr. Leah Spence & Dr. Patricia Zagallo
This workshop will briefly review the data supporting Growth Mindset theory. We will then lead hands-on activities to enact Growth Mindset interventions. Participants will examine their own practices in terms of their adherence to or departure from Growth Mindset. We will also explore ways to move away from deficit-based models towards asset-based models. Participants will leave with resources to continue practicing Growth Mindset.
Applications for the Clean Energy Bridge to Research (CEBR) program are due February 12, 2021.
Clean Energy Bridge to Research is a summer research program sponsored by the National Science Foundation and facilitated by University of Washington’s Clean Energy Institute. It supports a select group of undergraduates to participate in authentic research in solar, energy storage, and grid technologies under the mentorship of UW’s world-class faculty and graduate students. For more information on the program and how to apply, please visit our website.
- Patching the Leaks: Revitalizing and Reimagining the STEM Pipeline 10/27 11:30am-1pm: register here
- SACNAS 2020 10/19-10/24: SACNAS is virtual this year! The largest multidisciplinary and multicultural STEM diversity event in the country, the SACNAS conference serves to equip, empower, and energize participants for their academic and professional paths in STEM. You are invited to visit the UW Chemistry booth at the expo all week!
- STEMM(S) Mentoring Training begins on 10/14: STEMMS is a mentoring, training, and networking series aimed at strengthening the support provided to students and scholars who work and study in our units. Chemistry faculty, staff, postdocs, trainees and graduate students are invited to participate in the STEMMS training and should expect to gain an increased confidence in their ability to effectively mentor others. The program is layered to focus on the type of mentoring best suited to scholars at all levels from undergraduates to junior faculty. The first session “Considerations for Cultivating Equitable Mentoring Ecosystems” with Professor Beronda Montgomery is on Wednesday, October 14 from 11:30 am-1:30 pm Register in advance for Zoom.
- The new Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect (DIR) Committee of the ACS Puget Sound Section is organizing a series of Zoom panel discussions relating to diversity, inclusion, and respect. The first panel discussion relates to promoting student success from K-12 to college and graduate school. It will be held on 10/14 at 7:00 pm. Advance Zoom registration is required. https://us02web.
zoom.us/meeting/register/ tZUkf- qurTMuE9VyXnc3mPwvG4w8VFynwvcW