At the University of Washington, we believe that diversity and inclusivity are integral to excellence. Our mission is to create new chemical knowledge and prepare the next generation of scientists in a safe and inclusive environment.
To push our mission forward we must ask tough questions.
How do we:
- Increase access?
- Create an equity-minded learning environment?
- Ensure equal opportunity?
We invite you to join us in this conversation and work with us to create a community of equal opportunity, diversity of viewpoints, and academic excellence.
The UW Chemistry Department is an ACS Bridge Partner Site. We are committed to strengthening the chemical sciences in the United States by increasing the number of underrepresented students who receive doctoral degrees in chemical sciences.
Recent and Upcoming Events: 2020-2021
- May 25 and June 1, 2021 (3:30-4:30pm): Workshop Series on Developing and Employing Student Learning Outcomes
Presenter: Prof. Santiago Toledo (St. Edward's University)
- May 5, 2021 (11:30am-1pm): Workshop on Reducing Microaggressions, Microbullying, and Bullying in the Academic Workplace
Presenter: Myron Anderson, UT San Antonio
- April 6, 2021: Difficult Dynamics: Navigating University Systems as a Graduate Student hosted by Chemistry's Diversity & Equity Steering Committee
Presenter: Ashley Davis, UW Office of the Ombud
March 3, 2021: Growth Mindset Workshop hosted by Chemistry's Diversity & Equity Steering Committee
Presenters: Dr. Leah Spence & Dr. Patricia Zagallo
The new Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect (DIR) Committee of the ACS Puget Sound Section is organizing a series of Zoom panel discussions relating to diversity, inclusion, and respect. More information can be found on their website: https://www.facebook.com/AmericanChemicalSocietyPugetSoundSection/