At the University of Washington, we believe that diversity and inclusivity are integral to excellence. Our mission is to create new chemical knowledge and prepare the next generation of scientists in a safe and inclusive environment.
To push our mission forward we must ask tough questions.
How do we:
- Increase access?
- Create an equity-minded learning environment?
- Ensure equal opportunity?
We invite you to join us in this conversation and work with us to create a community of equal opportunity, diversity of viewpoints, and academic excellence.
I tell my staff, come at me hard. I want to know everything that's wrong with this idea. It is really important to have those viewpoints. Benevolent friction. Be soft on people but hard on ideas. You can't have a truly excellent environment when there is homogeneity.
- Ana Mari Cauce, UW President
When you get these jobs that you have been so brilliantly trained for, just remember that your real job is that if you are free, you need to free somebody else. If you have some power, then your job is to empower somebody else.
- Toni Morrison, celebrated American novelist and Literature Nobel Prize Laureate
Recent and Upcoming Events: Summer 2020
- September 24 – 26: NOBCChE 2020 - The conference is in a virtual format this year. Early registration ends August 14. Visit the UW Chemistry Virtual Booth on September 25.
- September 10: PR2ISMatic Thursdays - Navigating Isolation in Your Career. Open to URM graduate students and postdocs only.
- September 3: PR2ISMatic Thursdays - The Black Student Experience on Campus. Open to UW faculty, staff, postdocs and students.
- July 29 - September 6: Pr2ISM Workshop Series - This inaugural interdisciplinary tri-campus series will convene University of Washington leadership, unit leaders, faculty, staff, administrators, postdocs and graduate students within 17 interactive workshops and panels to create team-based learning and action. Participants will explore and share equity-minded practices for STEM instruction and research activities, and consider their roles as equity-minded scientists and leaders in a social change ecosystem.
- Dear Black Student First Fridays: Register here
- June 10: #ShutDownAcademia (#ShutDownSTEM, #Strike4BlackLives)
- June 5: 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM Lunch & Learn focused on Racial Justice for the Black Community – Meeting slides (PDF). Meeting summary (including chat). Post-event survey.