Information for Instructors

Contact Information

Before the Quarter Begins

During the Quarter

Completion of the Quarter


Contact Information

Academic Staff

Gary Drobny
Associate Chair Undergraduate Program

BAG 217


Technical Staff

Eric Camp
Director of Undergraduate Services

BAG 303D


Paul Isaac
Undergraduate Program Coordinator

BAG 303


Brandon Bol
Scientific Instructional Technician, Stockroom Supervisor

BAG 333


Ed Grant
Scientific Instructional Technician

BAG 333


Leesa Kurtz
Scientific Instructional Technician



Hakme Lee
Lecture Demonstration Technician

BAG 171


Dave Lindquist
Scientific Instructional Technician

BAG 292


Tyler Robison
Scientific Instructional Technician

CHB 108


Kayla Milano
Scientific Instructional Technician

CHB 108



Advising Staff

Tim Bradford
Senior Advisor

BAG 303A


Casey Renneberg
Senior Advisor

BAG 303B


[return to top of page]


Audio/Visual in Kane Hall, Bagley 131, and Bagley 154

Room audio and visual support is provided through podia in Kane Hall, 131 Bagley Hall, and 154 Bagley Hall. These podia are maintained by Classroom Technology & Events (CTE). Instructors should contact CTE for an access key and a tutorial on the room management system (e.g., lights, microphone, camera) before the first day of the quarter. All the documentation for CTE equipment is provided by CTE. Information about each room (seating capacity, AV resources, and instructions for equipment in each room) is available online as well as in hard copy at each location. 

[return to top of page] 

Departmental Website

The Department uses Catalyst ( for our course web sites, and for 100 level courses you will be provided with a template for your course.  At a minimum you must post the syllabus to this site. Your administrative assistant can post the syllabus and other materials to this site, or you can do this yourself.  If you would like to do something different (for example, use a Google Site), please speak with the Director of Undergraduate Services before you proceed. 

[return to top of page]

On Line Learning Resources 

The 100-level courses employ on-line learning resources.  Either ALEKS (120, 142, 152) or WebAssign (162) will be used to administer “homework” (we are transitioning to ALEKS and phasing out WebAssign).   Also, pre-laboratory exercises are on line, either through Catalyst (120, 142, 152) or WebAssign (162).  An account on ALEKS or WebAssign will be created for you, and Catalyst is available by logging on to Catalyst tools at: (  During the academic year pre-labs will be scheduled for your course by the Laboratory Coordinator.  Information regarding student access to these resources will be included in the syllabus templates that will be distributed (via email) three to four weeks before the start of the quarter. 

[return to top of page]


Clickers are a personal response system that allows you to pose multiple choice questions in your lectures within PowerPoint or Keynote.  Student responses from the “clicker” are delivered to a wireless receiver and saved on a computer.  Clickers can be purchased from the University Bookstore, and should be ordered at the same time as textbooks. (this happens approximately three months before the start of the quarter). There is very limited staff support for clickers, and the incorporation of clicker information into the Catalyst GradeBook.  Therefore, if you decide to use clickers you are assuming all associated administrative and technical responsibilities.

That said, the undergraduate stockroom is available to check if the clickers are responding to the receiver (there is a receiver installed on the stockroom computer). 

[return to top of page]

Lead TA:  Chem 142, 152, 162

During the academic year Chem 142, 152, and 162 are assigned a lead TA who carries additional responsibilities in exchange for additional compensation (20%).  In general, the TA is provided to the instructor for course management including organizing TA meetings, organizing grading sessions, distributing quizzes and worksheets, reviewing exams, posting material on the course bulletin board (if used), ensuring other TAs enter grades in a timely fashion, and assisting with other special student issues (for example, disabled student services).  It is up to you and the TA to agree on specific duties; however, the extra work should not exceed 4 hours per week.  It is important to note that lead TAs are not to assign or submit final grades, address TA performance issues, or give lectures in your absence.

[return to top of page]

Class Lists

Once you have been added to the Time Schedule database as the official instructor for a course, the list of students enrolled in your course will be available through “MyUW” (  You will need your UW NetID to log onto this site.  The class lists are updated in real time throughout the term. 

[return to top of page] 

Student Registration Issues  

  1. Adding a Course: Add codes are available in person from the Undergraduate Services staff in Bagley 303 (M-F 8:30 a.m. to 4:20 p.m.).  For most lab courses add codes are required during the “Late Add Period” (see, which starts the second full week of the quarter.   For 200-, 300-, and 400-level courses and the 1x5 series, add codes are required starting Period 3 which begins the first week of the quarter.  If an add code is not required, the student can simply add the class online without a code.  Sometimes we will ask your permission to provide an add code to a student, especially in upper-division courses when the student is adding relatively late in the quarter. Non-matriculated students should be directed to Undergraduate Services for signatures.
  2. Dropping a course: Drop codes are available in person from the Undergraduate Services staff in Bagley 303 (M-F 8:30 a.m. to 4:20 p.m.) For Chem 120, 152, and 162 students will need a drop code beginning in the second week of the quarter. For all other lab classes students will need a drop code starting in the first week of the quarter.  After the second week of the quarter, lab fees are not refunded if a student drops the course. For lecture courses, a student may drop online up until the seventh week of the quarter.  After this time the student must petition to drop, or file for hardship withdrawal from the course with the registrar. 
  3. Overloading:   Courses with a laboratory are never overloaded.  Lecture classes can be overloaded depending on the size of the room and the willingness of the instructor.  The department suggests avoiding this unless the course is only offered once per year or the student needs the course to graduate.  Students seeking to overload a course should see one of the academic advisers (Bagley 303).
  4. Audits:  Audits are not allowed for the laboratory part of a course.  It is left to the instructor to allow audits; however, the availability of classroom space should be considered when making this decision.
  5. Time Conflicts: Time conflicts occur when a student wants to take two classes that have overlapping meeting times.  When this occurs, the student must add the second course in person at the Registration Office (225 Schmitz Hall). Students must obtain approval from both instructors to add courses that conflict one (1) hour a week or less.  Instructor signatures on a Registration Transaction form are required for courses that conflict more than one (1) hour per week.  Department policies regarding time conflicts are as follows:
    • Time conflict with lab: Not allowed.
    • Time conflict with tutorial section:  Since the tutorial is optional this time conflict is allowed.
    • Time conflict with lecture or with quiz section: Allowed, but not encouraged. The student must get your permission, and you may be contacted for confirmation.
  1. Cancelled Registration:  The UW registration system automatically checks prerequisites when a student enrolls in a course.  If a student does not meet the prerequisites they are dropped from the course.  For example, if a student earned less than a 1.7 in Chem 142 and is registered for Chem 152 in the upcoming quarter, they will be dropped a few days after grades are submitted.  Students may also be dropped from a course due to academic performance (repeated quarters on academic probation).  In these cases you should direct the student to see one of our academic advisers in 303 Bagley.

    [return to top of page] 

Disabled Student Services

The University of Washington Disability Resources for Students Office (DRS) provides documentation and recommended accommodations for disabled students.  If you have a student who requires accommodations, they will provide you with a partially completed form from DRS that you will need to complete and submit to DRS.  If a student does not have official documentation from DRS,accommodations will not be provided.  If lab-related accommodations are requested, please send the student to the Director of Undergraduate Services. 

[return to top of page] 

100-Level Chemistry Study Center

The study center is available for instructor and TA office hours. During the quarter students will be able to use the tables, computers, and the printer/copier in the room; the room will be open 8:30am to 5:30pm during the academic year, and  8:30am to 4:00pm during Summer instruction.   Tutoring is offered during open hours; the tutoring schedule is posted each quarter under the Courses tab. The TA office hours will also be posted each quarter under the Courses tab. The Chemistry Department Advisers also maintain a list of private tutors, which can be accessed on the department’s website under the “Undergrads” tab. 

[return to top of page]

Organic Chemistry Study Center

The Organic study center is available for instructor and TA office hours. All organic TA office hours are to be held in the Center.   Tutoring is offered during some of the open hours; the tutoring schedule is posted each quarter under the Courses tab. During the quarter students will be able to use the tables, computers, and the printer/copier in the room; the room will be open 8:30am to 5:30pm during the academic year, and 8:30 am to 4:00pm during Summer instruction. 

[return to top of page] 

Lecture Demos

Hakme Lee is responsible for demos.  Email demo requests to Hakme (see email addresses above). Requests should be submitted at least 24 hours in advance.   Same day requests will be given last priority, and there is a significant chance that your request will not be met.   Please let the demo staff set up and take down your demos unless you have made specific arrangements.  

[return to top of page]

Photocopy Budget

Your course has a photocopy budget set at approximately $3 per student (100 copies).  This budget is for photocopies only.  Please do not purchase office supplies on the photocopy budget. 

[return to top of page]

Instructional Supplies

Supplies for your course are available in Bagley 171 and in the Undergraduate Stockroom (Bagley 271).  Pens, notepads, transparencies, etc., are available in labeled drawers.  For temporary instructors needing other office supplies, please contact the Associate Chair for the Undergraduate Program.  

[return to top of page] 

Course Evaluations

Undergraduate Services will order course evaluation packet from the Office of Educational Assessment (OEA) for your course.  If you do not receive the packet by the eighth week of the quarter, contact Undergraduate Services. You should plan 10-15 minutes during one of your last lectures for the students to complete the evaluations.  You will need someone to collect the evaluations and drop them in campus mail.  If you do not have a TA who can assist, please contact Undergraduate Services and someone from that office can help. 

[return to top of page] 

Machine-Graded Exams

Machine-graded, multiple-choice exams are an option for courses.  The exams are scored by the Office of Educational Assessment: (  The results are sent to the instructor via email and can be quickly imported into the Catalyst GradeBook.  ScorePak request forms, the necessary “key sheets,” and other helpful information are available from the Undergraduate Services office. 

[return to top of page] 

Academic Misconduct

Instructors should bring cases of academic misconduct to the Associate Chair for the Undergraduate Program. The evidence for misconduct will be assessed and options for resolution presented.  If resolution is pending when grades are due, students should be assigned a grade of “X”.  After resolution a grade change will be submitted.

For academic misconduct issues involving 100-level laboratories, instructors should consult with the Laboratory Coordinator.  The Coordinator will either resolve the case or forward the evidence to the Associate Chair for the Undergraduate Program.  If the charge of academic misconduct is upheld, lab reports will receive a grade of zero.  More information on academic misconduct is available at 

[return to top of page]

Lab Support

If you need information about the lab policies, information on the experiments performed for your course, or a copy of a manual please see the scientific tech responsible for that lab:

Please notify the appropriate tech if you find a mistake in the manual.  Substantive changes to the 100-level lab manuals must be approved by the Associate Chair for the Undergraduate Program or the Laboratory Coordinator.  Each of the techs also works with instructors on developing and improving labs and is willing to discuss your ideas. 

[return to top of page] 

Missed lab policy:  Chem 120, 142, 145, 152, 155, 162, 165

If the student has an excused absence (according to criteria outlined in their lab manual and/or syllabus) they will be allowed to reschedule into another section to perform the missed lab. Students should present documentation of their absence to the Director of Undergraduate Services or the Stockroom Manager.  If the absence is not excused, the student may still be able to make up if space is available and rescheduling is coordinated in advance. These students can earn only 75% of the points available.  Last minute unexcused absences will not be accommodated and students will receive a zero for the lab.

Students cannot miss more than one lab and pass the course, regardless if the absence is excused or not.  In the case of excused absences, if the student successfully completes all other course requirements then an incomplete should be given if they are passing the course through the eighth week and they must complete the missed lab(s) in the subsequent quarter.  A student with two unexcused absences from lab should receive a grade of 0.0 for the course. 

[return to top of page] 

Missed lab policy:  Chem 241

If the student has an excused they will be allowed to reschedule into another section to perform the missed lab. Students should present documentation of their absence to the Director of Undergraduate Services or the Stockroom Manager.  If the absence is not excused, the student may still be able to make up if space is available and rescheduling is coordinated in advance. Students who are excused from the missed lab can participate in the makeup lab offered during Finals week. 

[return to top of page] 

Missed lab policy:  Chem 242

Students in Chem 242 do not have makeup labs or the ability to work in other sections.  The students are expected to work within their assigned lab time to make up any missed lab time, and do not have to provide any documentation for missed lab time. 

[return to top of page] 

Missed exam policy:  Chem 110, 120, 142, 145, 152, 155, 162, 165

Students who miss a midterm exam must present documentation in order to be excused.  Students should present their documentation to the Director of Undergraduate Services.  The instructor will receive an email notifying them if the absence is excused.   Make up exams are not generally provided.  Instead, the performance on the final exam is used to construct a score for the missed exam. Contact the Director of Undergraduate Services if you plan to do something else, so that correct information is passed on to the student.

Athletes (and some academic student conflicts) have the option to use a proctor for an exam when they are away from the UW.  Please send these students to the Director of Undergraduate Services if they are scheduled to miss an exam.  Athletes should turn in a schedule of events to the Director of Undergraduate Services at the beginning of the quarter so that we can plan for missed exams or labs. 

[return to top of page]

Returning Student Work                  

In accordance with UW privacy policies student work cannot be placed in a common area.  We recommend you turn work back at discussion sections or office hours.  At the end of the quarter any unreturned work can be brought to Bagley 303 for storage in the Chemistry Study Center.  Your course materials should be organized by section with work in each section organized alphabetically. Students can pick up work Monday-Friday during regular hours. 

[return to top of page]

Grading Policies

  1. Grade Submission. Grade management and submission is done using the GradeBook function in Catalyst.   This GradeBook will allow your TAs to input their grades on the web, allows students to see their grades, and also allows you to easily submit your grades.  Contact Undergraduate Services if you need assistance in setting up a GradeBook.  Also note that it is the responsibility of the instructor to assign and submit final grades.  
  2. Assigning grades.  Information on grading policies and practices can be found at:  The UW uses a decimal system for grading (4.0, 3.9, 3.8…..0.7, 0.0).   There are a few important minimum grades to be aware of:
    • A grade of 0.7 is the minimum required to receive credit for the course, and is considered the minimum passing grade.
    • A grade of 1.7 is generally the pre-requisite for continuing in a course sequence.  By assigning a grade below 1.7 you are indicating that the student should take the course again and not continue in the sequence.
    • A grade of 1.7 is also the minimum required for a course to count for many BA degrees (in particular, the BA in Chemistry or Biochemistry).
    • A grade of 2.0 is the minimum required for a course to count for many BS degrees (in particular, the BS degrees in Chemistry, or the BS in Biochemistry).

A good practice is to review the performance of students below minimum grade thresholds to see if the grade is truly warranted.  For example, review students with a 1.6 to see if their performance is such that they should not continue in the sequence.  You can always consult with the Associate Chair of the Undergraduate Program for guidance regarding grades.

There are two common alternative grades, the “X” and “I”.  An “X” (also referred to as “no grade”) is given when no grade is available when grades are due.  “X” grades do not affect student status, and will remain on the student’s record until a grade is submitted by the instructor, presumably within one academic quarter.  The “I” or incomplete is used in the following cases: 

a.  The student has satisfactorily completed all work through the eighth week of the quarter, but has an excused absence that keeps them from completing the final.  For 100-level courses, students should be directed to the Director of Undergraduate Services (303 Bagley) to have their excuse verified.  Instructors for other courses can also follow this procedure, or handle verification themselves.

b.  The student has completed all work, but has a lab to make up.  If the student has excused absences for the lab they have missed, then they are eligible for an incomplete.  The student will complete the required lab work in the following quarter, or as soon as possible. Students with more than one lab unexcused lab absence (score of 0 on more than one lab), are not eligible to pass the class and are automatically assigned a grade of 0.0.

Note that undergraduate students who do not have an incomplete converted to a grade by the end of the next quarter will have it automatically converted to a 0.0.  An instructor may approve an extension of the incomplete by writing to the Graduation and Academic Records Office no later than the last day of the quarter following the quarter in which the incomplete was assigned.  You can extend incompletes for three quarters, but in no case can an incomplete be converted to a passing grade after one year.

There are two other cases to note regarding incompletes.  A student who has missed a midterm is not eligible for an incomplete since it is not possible to determine if they are passing the course through the eighth week.   If you are teaching a course offered only offered once per year, a makeup final needs to be given to students by the end of the following quarter. 

[return to top of page]    

Giving an Early Final

UW guidelines states: “An instructor shall not, except in very unusual circumstances, grant permission to individual students for an early examination”.  Students missing a final due to a family emergency or other situations that merit special consideration (such as military duty, medical school interview, visa or citizenship issues, etc.) are eligible to receive an incomplete if they are passing the course through the eighth week.

 [return to top of page]

Grade Changes

Grade changes are submitted using an online form available on the Registrar’s website: It is departmental policy to submit a grade change only when the change is greater than 0.1.  However, if correction of a “bookkeeping” mistake (for example, a point addition error on the final) results in a change of 0.1, then a grade change should be submitted. 

[return to top of page]

Lecturer Evacuation Responsibilities

“Because of the personal nature of safety performance, everyone with supervisory responsibility will be expected to directly participate in the supervision of programs to assure that safe working conditions are maintained. Faculty and staff shall be directly responsible for their own safety, for the safety of students and employees under their supervision; and for the safety of their fellow employees. This responsibility can neither be transferred nor delegated. Supervisors shall provide training for accident prevention as necessary, for those working under their direction.”

Ref: "University Handbook", Vol. 4; Part VI; Chapter 4, University Safety Programs; Section 1, Statement of Policy and Responsibilities (Executive Order No. 55 of the President, last revision April 1994).

Consistent with this order, instructors must:

  • Provide his or her class or audience with general information relating to emergency procedures. This information should be shared during the first week of class or at the start of a seminar.
  • Know how to report an emergency from the classroom being used.
  • Assure that persons with disabilities have the information they need. The instructor should be familiar with the student’s plan and be able to direct visitors with disabilities.
  • Take responsible charge of the classroom and follow emergency procedures for all building alarms and emergencies.

[return to top of page]