- Bromine is highly toxic and reactive. Use care.
- Both cyclohexane and cyclohexene are very flammable. Keep away from flames.
- Cyclohexene and cyclohexane have an irritating odor.
- Dichloromethane is a cancer suspect agent.
Chemicals and Solutions
- Bromine solution (5% in dichloromethane)
2 hydrometer cylinders
- Fill 1 cylinder 1/2 full with cyclohexane and fill the other 1/2 full with cyclohexene.
- Add bromine solution to both cylinders. Bromine adds across the double bond of cyclohexene forming a clear solution of trans-1,2-Dibromocyclohexane. The cylinder containing cyclohexane remains colored.