- Nickel salts are particularly toxic.
- Copper and cobalt salts are toxic.
Chemicals and Solutions
- 0.1M Cobalt chloride
- 0.1M Copper sulfate
- 0.1M Nickel nitrate
- 0.1M Sodium carbonate
- 0.1M Sodium hydroxide
- Mix nickel nitrate solution with sodium carbonate solution to form a green ppt. of nickel carbonate.
- Mix copper sulfate solution with sodium carbonate solution to form a blue ppt. of copper carbonate.
- Mix cobalt chloride solution with sodium carbonate solution to form a purple ppt. of cobalt carbonate.
- Use excess carbonate, to assure that precipitation of the toxic metal ion.
Carbonate salts are insoluble with the exception of those containing alkali metal ions and ammonium ions.