Chemicals and Solutions
- 1M copper sulfate aq.
- 1M zinc sulfate aq.
- small hydrometer cylinder
- strips of copper and zinc
- Digital readout voltmeter
- piezo buzzer & switch
- test leads
- Fill a hydrometer cylinder half full with 1M Copper sulfate.
- Place a copper strip into the cylinder such that it both reaches the bottom of the cylinder and protrudes out the top of the cylinder.
- Using an eyedropper carefully layer 0.1M zinc sulfate onto the copper sulfate.
- Place a short strip of zinc into the cylinder. The zinc strip should not extend into the highly concentrated copper sulfate solution.
- Attach alligator clips to the zinc and copper electrodes and connect the cell to the voltmeter.
- The cell can also be connected to a piezo buzzer and switch.