Barium salts are highly toxic.
Chemicals and Solutions
Flame test cation solutions (methanolic)
- Dishes with covers
Place the cation solutions into dishes and ignite them with a match. To put them out, simply cover the dish.
- Barium gives a green flame
- Strontium gives a red flame
- Lithium gives a red flame
- Calcium gives a red orange flame
- Sodium gives an orange flame
- Potassium give a violet flame
The metal ions are raised to an excited state by the high temperature of the flame and then return to the ground state emitting light of characteristic frequencies.