- Hexane is very flammable.
- Potassium permanganate and sodium dichromate are strong oxidizers.
- Iodine causes burns.
Chemicals and Solutions
- Distilled water
- I₂ crystals
- KMnO₄ crystals
- Sodium dichromate crystals
- 2-1L separatory funnels
- 2 Ringstands, 2 rings, and 2 clamps
- 2 Pennyhead stoppers
- 2 Spatulas
- Put ~300 mL water into each sep. funnel.
- Add ~200 mL n-hexane to each sep. funnel.
- Add a few KMnO₄ crystals to one sep. funnel and shake. (KMnO₄ will dissolve in the aq. layer).
- Add a few I₂ crystals to the other sep. funnel and shake. (I₂ will dissolve in the organic layer).
Hint: As an extra bonus, a few crystals of sodium dichromate can be added to the sep. funnel already containing iodine so that Husky colors are made.