- The greatest hazard is formation of silver fulminate. To avoid formation of silver fulminate dispose of the Tollens' test immediately after performing the experiment.
- Silver nitrate stains fingers.
- Potassium hydroxide is caustic and toxic.
- Ammonia is caustic and has irritating vapors
Chemicals and Solutions
- Tollens' Solution A (dilute sugar/acid)
- Tollens' Solution B (potassium hydroxide, silver nitrate, ammonia)
- 500 ml test tube and rack.
- Add 6 mL of Tollens' Solution A to the large test tube.
- Pour in 400 mL of Tollens' Solution B. Within a minute the tube should darken and begin to form a silver mirror.