The wave generator is a series of connected, equally spaced rods with glow in the dark spots on the rod ends. Waves are manually generated and self-propagate along the apparatus.
- Wave generator
- UV lights
- Wooden boxes for placement of UV lights
- To set up the wave generator, grasp the ends of either half of the base, tilt up cautiously, and fasten the latch.
- Place the UV lights on the boxes such that the light will shine on the fluorescent tips of the bars of the wave generator.
- Perform the demo with the room lights off and the UV lights on.
- For high frequency wave: Show high frequency, short wavelength waves by giving the first rod one short quick shake.
- For low frequency wave: Show low frequency, long wavelength waves by giving the first rod one long easy shake.
- For constructive interference: Show students constructive interference by shaking the first and last rod simultaneously.
- Set up a standing wave by rhythmically waving the the first rod.