Champak was born in Kolkata but raised in the cricket capital of the world, Mumbai, India. He and his wife, Dr. Leah Miller, lived in Champaign-Urbana and New York City before arriving in Seattle in the summer of 2010. Champak earned his Ph.D. in Chemical Biology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and invented disulfide-directed protein ubiquitylation as a postdoctoral researcher at The Rockefeller University. The Chatterjee lab in Seattle strives to apply atom-efficient and water-compatible synthetic strategies for protein chemistry in order to understand eukaryotic gene regulation by protein post-translational modifications. New trainees in the Chatterjee lab can expect to master techniques in peptide and protein synthesis, bioanalytical and biophysical measurements, molecular biology and mammalian cell culture. Former trainees from the Chatterjee labs have gone onto assistant professorships (Keystone College, PA), startups (Revolution Medicines, CA), postdoctoral research (Harvard Medical School and The Rockefeller University) and lectureships (Baylor University and UW Bothell). The Chatterjee lab is a firm believer in mens sana in corpore sano and hiking is the most popular group activity.
- Leonen, C.J.A..; Shimada, M.; Weller, C.E.; Nakadai, T.; Hsu, P.L.; Tyson, E.L.; Mishra, A.; Shelton, P.M.M.; Sadilek, M.; Hawkins, R.D.; Zheng, N.; Roeder, R.G.; Chatterjee, C. Sumoylation of the human histone H4 tail inhibits p300-mediated transcription by RNA polymerase II in cellular extracts. Elife 2021, 10:e67952.
- Buckle EL, Sampath J, Michael N, Whedon SD, Leonen CJA, Pfaendtner J, Drobny GP, Chatterjee C. Chembiochem. 2020, 21(22), 3208-3211.
- Dhall A, Shelton PMM, Delachat AM, Leonen CJA, Fierz B, Chatterjee C. Biochemistry. 2020, 59(27), 2479-2483.
- Hsu PL, Shi H, Leonen C, Kang J, Chatterjee C, Zheng N. Mol Cell. 2019, 76(5), 712-723.
- Total Chemical Synthesis of Proteins, John Wiley and Sons, Eds. Brik, Dawson and Liu, 2021, pp 624.
CHEM 432/532: Advanced Bio-organic Chemistry (Chemical Biology)
- Faculty Promotions: Chatterjee, Stoll, and Zalatan - August 6, 2021
- Champak Chatterjee promoted to Associate Professor with Tenure - February 23, 2017