Building Security and Use


All offices and laboratories should be locked when unoccupied. Valuables such as laptop computers, purses, wallets, cell phones, etc. should be on your person or securely locked. The University assumes no liability for loss of personal property. Any unusual circumstances such as broken windows, lost or stolen property, and/or presence of suspicious individuals should be reported as soon as possible to the University Police, 9-911, and/or the Department Administrator, x3-1612, BAG 109F.

Bagley Hall (BAG) and Chemistry Building (CHB)

Outside doors are unlocked from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. Personnel with active Husky Cards have additional “community access” Monday-Friday from 7 to 8 a.m. and 6 to 10 p.m. The buildings are locked on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. Custodial Services is responsible for locking/unlocking the doors at the appropriate times. When locked, use your Husky Card or building key to enter. If you find an outside door unlocked when you know it should be locked, please call the UW Facilities Customer Care team at 206-685-1900 (press 0 for emergencies). They will make sure the building is secured.

Chemistry Library Building (CHL)

Currently is used by several departments, including Chemistry. The building coordinator in BAG 82 / 543-1616 can assist you in obtaining access to rooms within the building. The approximate times for the outside doors to be unlocked are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Thursday; 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday. The building is locked on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. The building key issued to Chemistry personnel is for select outside doors of CHL.

Never prop outside doors open or let anyone into a Chemistry building who does not have a key!

Building Use Permits

Anyone who has building access must carry a Husky Card while in the building after hours. Husky Cards with building access are considered the equivalent of a building use permit. Husky Cards must be shown to University Police Officers when requested. If you are in the building after hours without building access on your Husky Card, you may be asked to leave the building and your keys will be confiscated. See the Key Custodian in BAG 109 to request a building use permit if you do not have a Husky Card.

Bicycles in Buildings

According to WAC 478-118-290, bicycles are not allowed in University buildings. Bicycles parked in violation are subject to impounding by UW Transportation Services. DO NOT store bicycles in research laboratories or chemical storage areas.

A secure bicycle storage room is located in the loading dock area near the Machine Shop entrance (Bagley 82). Chemistry personnel (faculty, staff, postdoctoral scholars, and graduate students) may request access to this room from the Key Custodian (Bagley 109).