Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards
The Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards supports UW undergraduate students in developing the skills and personal insights necessary to pursue scholarships appropriate to their goals.
Department of Chemistry Scholarship Opportunities
Thanks to the generosity of several alumni and others interested in helping deserving chemistry and biochemistry students, the Department of Chemistry has some resident tuition scholarships and book prizes available to students who are currently UW students and declared biochemistry or chemistry majors.
Depending on the particular award; academic merit, financial need, career goals, employment history, extracurricular activities, and undergraduate research record are among the criteria used to determine the recipients. Personal background, including being the first in your family to go college, having experienced personal or educational obstacles to go to college, and/or experience with diversity or diverse cultures will also be considered in the selection. Generally, the scholarships are awarded to students who have been in the Department for a year or more.
Scholarships and book prizes awarded by the Department of Chemistry are available only to students who are declared biochemistry or chemistry majors. Please adhere to the following application guidelines.
- Complete the Scholarship Application process described below.
- Write an essay discussing your career goals, your academic and personal background, why you should be selected as a scholarship/book award recipient, and anything else you feel might be relevant to the Scholarship Selection Committee. Please pay attention to spelling and grammar.
- One letter of recommendation, preferably from faculty. Letters of recommendation may be emailed directly to email@example.com.
- The application deadline is December 11, 2020.
The scholarship committee will meet in December to choose recipients. Monetary awards will be disbursed for Winter quarter.
Below is the list of scholarships and book awards available. Students need only submit one application to be considered for all the scholarships and book awards listed below:
H. K. Benson Undergraduate Tuition Scholarship
Leland and Eleanor Burger Endowed Scholarship
Earl W. Davie Endowed Scholarship in Chemistry or Biochemistry
Ed F. and Clara M. Degering Tuition Scholarship
Donald J. Hanahan Endowed Scholarship in Chemistry or Biochemistry
Christopher and Karen Pohl Endowed Fund in Chemistry
Rex J. And Ruth C. Robinson Scholarship Fund in Chemistry
Zalia Jencks Rowe Undergraduate Tuition Scholarship
Usha and S. Rao Varanasi Endowed Diversity Scholarship in Chemistry
Gerald and Sheila Berkelhammer Book Award
Gerald and Sheila Berkelhammer Senior Book Award
Send a word document or PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the following:
- Your Name and Student ID number.
- Any College and Community Awards and Honors you may have.
- Any Undergraduate Research that you have participated in.
- An essay that discusses your career goals, your personal and academic background, why you feel you should be selected as a scholarship/book award recipient, and/or anything else you feel might be relevant to the Selection Committee. Personal background, including being the first in your family to go college, having experienced personal or educational obstacles to go to college, and/or experience with diversity or diverse cultures will also be considered in the selection).
- Do not forget that one letter of recommendation, preferably from faculty must be received by the deadline. Letters of recommendation may be emailed directly to email@example.com.
A copy of your transcript(s) will be provided to the Scholarship/Award Selection Committee, which will thoughtfully consider all applications. Thank you for your interest.