You are here

Parenting Accommodation Policy

Guiding Principles

The Department of Chemistry Graduate Student Parenting Accommodation Policy is by no means designed to replace the communication and cooperation between student and adviser, and the good-faith efforts of both to accommodate the arrival of a new child in the home by birth, adoption, or foster placement, or the care of a child with a serious illness. It is the intention of this policy to reinforce the importance of that cooperation, and to provide support where needed to make that accommodation possible. The Department of Chemistry Parenting Accommodation Policy is governed by Article 16 of the UW/UAW Local 4121 contract regarding Leaves of Absence; please see Article 16 for more information.

Academic Accommodations

Leave of Absence Policy

A graduate student may take a family leave of absence (LOA) for up to one academic year (i.e.,12 months, including the summer quarter) after the birth of a child or following an adoption. Parental leave extends time-to-degree standards by up to one academic year at any stage of a student’s program. During this time, students may purchase the Graduate Appointee Health Insurance Plan (GAIP) assuming they were enrolled in GAIP in the quarter prior to their LOA. In some circumstances, students may be eligible for up to 12 weeks of UW-paid GAIP coverage while on a LOA due to childbirth or adoption. Eligibility for self-paid or UW-paid GAIP coverage while on a LOA must be approved by the UW Benefits Office.
Link to the Graduate School policy for Graduate On-Leave Status
Link to UWHR about GAIP coverage during a leave of absence

Expanded Academic Time-to-Degree Provisions for Extraordinary Parenting Demands

This policy is designed to assist graduate students who have extraordinary parenting responsibilities (see definition below) while maintaining continuing student status and facilitating a return to full participation in course work, and – where applicable – research and training.

A parent with extraordinary responsibilities, with primary responsibility for the child, may receive an extension of up to one extra year. A doctoral student seeking parental accommodation must have substantial or extraordinary parenting responsibilities. These include childbirth; care of a newborn, newly adopted child, or newly-placed foster child; the serious illness of a child; and other exceptional circumstances relating to a child.  The child may be the student’s child or that of a spouse or domestic partner.

Special Note for International Students

Withdrawals, leaves, and delayed progress toward completion of degree may have implications for the visa status of international students. International students are urged to consult with the Office of International Student Services (ISS) before modifying their degree progress.

International students are also encouraged to confirm eligibility for health insurance coverage if returning to their home country.