Josh grew up in the San Francisco bay area and had an interest in science from an early age. He studied chemistry at Reed College in Portland, OR and earned a Ph.D. in physical chemistry at MIT where he worked in the lab of Keith Nelson on applications of adaptive optics to ultrafast spectroscopy. For his postdoctoral research in Xiaowei Zhuang's lab at Harvard he developed tools for super-resolution fluorescence microscopy and studied virus transport. His current interests include developing new tools to extract molecular detail from intact biological specimens and applying these tools to important biological questions. Outside of work, he enjoys music, sailing, and spoiling his two daughters.
- Halpern, A.R.; Lee, M.Y.; Howard, M.D.; Woodworth, M.A.; Nicovich, P.R.; Vaughan, J.C. Versatile, do-it-yourself, low-cost spinning disk confocal microscope. Biomed. Opt. Express 2022, 13, 1102–1120.
- Woodworth, M.W.; Ng, K.K.H.; Halpern, A.R.; Pease, N.A.; Nguyen, P.H.B.; #Kueh, H.Y.; #Vaughan, J.C. Multiplexed single-cell profiling of chromatin states at genomic loci by expansion microscopy. Nucleic Acids Res. 2021, e82.
- Mao, C.; Lee, M. Y.; Jhan, J.-R.; Halpern, A. R.; Woodworth, M. A.; Glaser, A. K.; Chozinski, T. J.; Shin, L.; Pippin, J.W.; Shankland, S.J.; Liu, J. T. C.; Vaughan, J. C. Feature-Rich Covalent Stains for Super-Resolution and Cleared-Tissue Fluorescence Microscopy. Sci. Adv. 2020, 6, eaba4542.
- Lin, D.; Gagnon, L. A.; Howard, M. D.; Halpern, A. R.; Vaughan, J. C. Extended-Depth 3D Super-Resolution Imaging Using Probe-Refresh STORM. Biophys. J. 2018, 114, 1980–1987.
- Halpern, A. R.; Alas, G. C. M.; Chozinski, T. J.; #Paredez, A. R.; #Vaughan, J. C. Hybrid Structured Illumination Expansion Microscopy Reveals Microbial Cytoskeleton Organization. ACS Nano 2017, 11, 12677–12686. (#co-corresponding authors)
- Chozinski, T. J.; Halpern, A. R.; Okawa, H.; Kim, H.-J.; Tremel, G. J.; Wong, R. O. L.; Vaughan, J. C. Expansion microscopy with conventional antibodies and fluorescent proteins. Nat. Methods 2016, 13, 485–488.
- Poudel and Pristash receive WRF Postdoctoral Fellowships - January 13, 2023
- Fellowships, Awards & Honors: Faculty, Staff & Postdocs - September 12, 2022
- Vaughan Awarded $1.3M Grant from W. M. Keck Foundation - July 14, 2022
- Joshua Vaughan promoted to Associate Professor with Tenure - April 24, 2020
- Chiu, Vaughan receive NIH Transformative Research Award - May 24, 2018