University policy states that reimbursements are for the rare occasions when other procurement methods are not an option. We ask that all purchases be made through the Chemistry Purchasing & Accounting Office, but we understand that there may be occasions when this is not possible.
Very few budgets can be used for hosting or entertaining expenses (e.g., food or alcoholic beverages), and those that do allow it are primarily central Department funds. Reimbursements for any Department-sponsored events are subject to the Department Hosting policy.
We are unable to reimburse for the following:
- Personal services or honoraria
- Services rendered by UW employees
- Gasoline (allowed only when using a rental car; reimbursed via Travel Expense Report)
- UW and UWMC parking
- Goods or services from other UW departments (these should be charged directly to a budget number)
- UW tuition or fees
- Prizes, awards, or gift certificates
- Items that are not essential for UW business (e.g., personal choice, convenience, or decorative items)
- Shipping costs – all shipping must adhere to the Chemistry Shipping & Receiving policy
- Complete a Reimbursement Request Form (PDF). A PI or supervisor signature is required on forms submitted by postdocs, students, or staff.
- Include original receipts with the request form. Per University policy, you must provide itemized vendor receipts in order to be reimbursed. For online orders, be sure to provide the receipt page with total amount paid (e.g., not just the order or invoice page). Receipts must show proof of payment. You cannot be reimbursed on grant funds without providing an itemized vendor receipt.
- Submit the Reimbursement Request Form (PDF) and your receipts to Hong Sze in the Purchasing & Accounting Office (109P Bagley Hall).
- Your reimbursement will be routed and approved electronically. You will receive an email from the ARIBA system asking you to review and approve your reimbursement ("XR"). Your reimbursement will not be processed until all required approval steps have been completed in ARIBA.
- For UW Employees: Your reimbursement will be deposited automatically via direct deposit, which typically happens within one business day of your approval of the reimbursement in ARIBA. The deposit will be made based on the elections you have made for direct deposit via Workday. See the UW Integrated Service Center website for information about creating, changing, or updating direct deposit elections in Workday.
- For Non-UW Personnel: When submitting a reimbursement request, non-UW personnel should provide their preferred email and/or mailing address, as reimbursements for non-UW individuals are issued in the form of a paper check. Checks are issued relatively quickly once the required approvals steps have been completed, though transit through the mail system (either campus mail or USPS) may take ~3-5 days. Depending on what you have pre-arranged, your check will either be sent directly to the mailing address that you provided for the reimbursement, or you will be emailed when your check has arrived at the Chemistry Accounting Office.