"If you never guess wrong, you're not guessing about hard enough things." - Jordan Ellenberg, Shape, 2021 (p. 418)
Course Meeting Times
M, T, W, TH 8:30-9:20am
Lectures are recorded via Panopto, and the recordings will be available on Canvas (and as a live stream).
Discussion (Quiz) Sections
Fridays (times and locations per the UW Time Schedule)
Discussion sections are not recorded and in-person participation is expected. You are allowed to miss two discussion sections without penalty. If you need to miss discussion section for any reason, please submit a response to this absence form.
Tuesdays & Wednesdays (times and locations per the UW Time Schedule)
In-person participation is required for lab. You are required to attend a lab safety orientation and 6 lab experiments. If you need to miss lab for any reason, please submit a response to this absence form.
FINALS WEEK Office Hours (Dec 11th ONLY)
Bagley 202D, 9:30-10:30
Teaching Assistant Office Hours (BAG 330)
11:00-12:00 (Corvo), 12:00-1:00 (AnneClaire), 1:00-2:00 (Chisa), 2:00-3:00 (Maddie), 3:00-4:00 (Annie), 4:00-5:00 (Abby), 5:00-6:00 (Lucas)
Dr. Samantha Robinson (she/her) | email@example.com
Weekly, Drop-In Office Hours: Mondays (9:30-10:30), Wednesdays (11:30-12:30) (BAG 202D)
Teaching Assistants (BAG 330)
Chisa Zensho (she/her) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Annie Moulene (she/her) | email@example.com
Mondays (3:00-4:00), Thursdays (3:00-4:00)
Corvo Tran (he/him) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Mondays (4:30-5:30), Wednesdays (4:30-5:30)
Maddie Breshears (she/her) | email@example.com
Tuesdays (10:00-11:00, 3:30-4:30)
Abby Strominger (she/her) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Mondays (9:20-12:20), Tuesdays (1:00-2:00), Fridays (12:30-3:30)
AnneClaire Wageman (she/her) | email@example.com
Tuesdays (11:00-12:00, 4:30-5:30)
Lucas Narisawa (he/they) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesdays (3:30-4:30), Thursdays (1:00-2:00)
Textbook & Online Homework Access
- General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry, 7th edition (Stoker, Cengage) ($25/quarter ebook access)
- Achieve Online Homework (Macmillan) (atmna7) ($32/quarter or $75/year with UW pricing)
- Scientific (non-graphing) calculator
(There are several formats of the textbook available from the bookstore and other retailers (hardcover, loose-leaf, rental, used, etc.) Pick whatever format will be most affordable and convenient for you. More information is available on the Textbook & Materials Information Page)
- Lab Coat & Goggles
- Lab Notebook (carbonless duplicate pages)
(More information available on the Lab Policies Page)
Internet & Instructional Technology
- Access to a computer or tablet
Need a device? Try Student Technology Loan Program funded by Student Technology Fees
You will NOT need a printer or separate scanner for this course, but submissions cannot be a group of individual image files. There are free apps available for both Apple and Android devices: ie, Genius Scan, Scannable, and the native "Notes" app on Apple devices.
See a specific breakdown of objectives & skills per chapter in the Canvas site (Course Learning Objectives page).
Course Components & Grading
The course consists of:
- 4 recorded in-person class sessions per week - Recordings will be available in Panopto in Canvas
- 1 in-person discussion section per week with a teaching assistant (sessions are not recorded)
- 6 Lab experiments (+ a lab training session) over the course of the quarter
- Daily work in the Achieve online homework platform
- In-person exams administered during the lecture time in the lecture hall
- Various participation assignments: exam reflections, reading assignments, etc.
The point distribution for the evaluative components of the course is as follows:
- Exams = 67%
- Lab = 15%
- Online Homework = 7%
- Other Participation = 11% (Discussion sections, active reading, etc.)
Some additional notes on grading:
- You can find specific guidance on dropped assignments and other details on the grading page in Canvas.
- The final median GPA in Chemistry 120 generally falls between 2.6-2.9.
- It is the Chemistry Department’s policy not to make grade changes of 0.1 after final class grades are submitted to the UW Registrar.
- Your scores for the various assignments and exams will be recorded using the online Gradebook in Canvas.
Additional Resources in Canvas
Course Schedule Summary: Assignment Due Dates + Reading Schedule