The Department of Chemistry requires that all persons working in laboratories (employees and students) must take the following training courses:
- Asbestos General Awareness (online)
- Compressed Gas Safety (online)
- Fire Extinguisher Training (online or in-person)
- Fume Hood Training (online)
- GHS-Globally Harmonized System (HazCom) (online)
- Managing Laboratory Chemicals (online)
These trainings are provided by UW Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S). All online training should be completed within two weeks of receiving your keys. For classroom training, register for the next available course. If there is not a course available when you first look, we request that you continue to check back on the website and enroll when a course next becomes available. Both the online and in-person training fulfill the requirement, so you may choose the one you prefer.
- Go to http://www.ehs.washington.edu/psotrain/corsdesc.shtm
- Click on the name of the training you wish to complete
- Click “Start online” or “Register for Class”
- Log in with your UW NetID
An additional recommended training is:
- First Aid/CPR certification
First Aid/CPR Training is offered by the Department on a regular basis, so there is no need for an individual to pay for the one offered by EH&S. For more information, please see the Director of Instructional & Laboratory Services (Eric Camp, BAG 303D, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Notes for online training certificate:
- The UW campus mailbox number for the Department of Chemistry is 351700.
- If your research supervisor or lab safety officer do not require the certificates of training, you may indicate Eric Camp as your supervisor (email@example.com).